Tired of those pesky Twitch ads interrupting your gaming sessions? We feel you! These intrusive advertisements can kill the vibe whether you’re a die-hard streamer or a casual viewer. But fear not, Firefox users!
This blog post shows you some nifty tricks to block Twitch ads and reclaim your uninterrupted streaming experience. Get ready to level up your ad-blocking game and bid farewell to those annoying distractions once and for all!
Table of contents
Why Block Twitch Ads?
Twitch is a popular live streaming platform where users can watch their favorite streamers play video games, host talk shows, and create engaging content.
However, as with most free services, Twitch relies on advertising to generate revenue and keep the platform running. While some users don’t mind watching ads to support their favorite creators, others find them intrusive and disruptive to their viewing experience.
Methods to Block Twitch Ads in Firefox
There are several methods and extensions available for blocking Twitch ads in Firefox. This section will discuss some of the most effective ways to block Twitch ads in Firefox.
Using AdBlock Plus extension
AdBlock Plus is a popular browser extension that allows users to block ads on their favorite websites. This section will discuss using AdBlock Plus to block Twitch ads in Firefox.
Step 1: Install AdBlock Plus Extension
The first step to blocking Twitch ads in Firefox is to install the AdBlock Plus extension. To do so, follow these simple steps:
- Open your Firefox browser and go to the Addons page by clicking on the menu icon (three horizontal lines) at the top right corner of your screen.
- On the Addons page, click on “Extensions” from the side menu.
- Search for “AdBlock Plus” in the search bar at your screen’s top right corner.
- Click “Add to Firefox” next to the AdBlock Plus extension in the search results.
- A pop-up window will appear, asking for confirmation. Click “Add” and wait a few seconds while the extension is installed.
Step 2: Enable Ad Blocking for Twitch
Now that you have successfully installed AdBlock Plus, enabling ad blocking specifically for Twitch is time.
- Go back to your Firefox browser and open Twitch. tv.
- Click on the AdBlock Plus icon located at the top right corner of your screen (usually next to your address bar). This will open a drop-down menu with several options.
- From this menu, select “Enabled on this site.”
Creating a custom filter using the uBlock Origin extension
Creating a custom filter using the uBlock Origin extension is another effective way to block Twitch ads on Firefox. uBlock Origin is a popular ad blocker extension allowing users to create custom filters to block specific website elements.
To start, install the uBlock Origin extension on your Firefox browser.
- Once installed, click the uBlock Origin icon in your browser toolbar and select “Open Dashboard.” This will open the uBlock Origin settings page, where you can create custom filters.
- Next, click the “My Filters” tab on the settings page. Here, you can add new filters or edit existing ones. To create a custom filter for blocking Twitch ads, click the “Create” button and name your filter.
- Now comes the critical part – identifying what elements of Twitch you want to block. One easy way to do this is using the element picker tool in uBlock Origin. Click on the element picker icon (a pipette) and then hover over an ad on Twitch until it gets highlighted. This will allow you to see which element is responsible for displaying that ad.
- Once you have identified the element, right-click on it and select “Add as blocking rule” from the context menu. This will automatically add that element as a filter rule in your custom filter. You can manually input filter rules if you know how to use CSS selectors.
Repeat this process for all other ad elements you want to block on Twitch. You can also use wildcard.
Using the Pi-hole network-wide ad blocker
The Pi-hole network-wide ad blocker is a powerful tool that can block ads on any device connected to your network, including Twitch ads in Firefox. It works by acting as a DNS server and filtering out any requests for advertisements before they reach your device.
You will need a Raspberry Pi (a small, affordable computer) and some basic technical knowledge to use the Pi-hole ad blocker. Pre-configured options are also available for purchase if you prefer a more straightforward setup process.
Here’s how to set up and use the Pi-hole network-wide ad blocker to block Twitch ads in Firefox:
- Set up the Raspberry Pi: The first step is to set up your Raspberry Pi. You can follow online tutorials or use the official instructions on the Raspberry Pi website. Make sure it is connected to your network and has internet access.
- Install the Pi-hole software: Once your Raspberry Pi is set up, you will need to install the Pi-hole software onto it. This can be done through a simple command line installation process.
- Configure your router’s DNS settings: For all devices on your network to benefit from the ad blocking capabilities of the Pi-hole, you will need to change your router’s DNS settings so that it points to the IP address of your Raspberry Pi.
- Customize blacklists: The default configuration of the Pi-hole comes with several blacklists already included, but you can customize these or add new ones according to your preferences.
Installation and Setup of AdBlock Plus
- Download and Install AdBlock Plus – The first step to blocking Twitch ads in Firefox is to download and install the AdBlock Plus extension. To do this, open your Firefox browser and go to the Addons page by clicking on the menu button (three horizontal lines) in the top right corner, then select “Addons”. Alternatively, you can type “about: addons” in the address bar.
- Search for AdBlock Plus – In the search bar of the Addons page, type “AdBlock Plus” and hit enter. This will display a list of results related to your search term. Look for the official AdBlock Plus extension developed by Eyeo GmbH and click on “Add to Firefox”.
- Confirm Installation – A pop-up window will appear asking you to confirm the installation of AdBlock Plus. Click on “Add” to proceed with the installation process.
- Enable Tracking Protection – Once installed, you will be redirected to your Addons page, where you can manage all your installed extensions. Click on the “Extensions” tab from the left sidebar menu and look for AdBlock Plus in the list of installed extensions. Next, click on “Options” next to AdBlock Plus.
- Enable Tracking Protection – On the options page of AdBlock Plus, go to Advanced > Privacy & Security > Enable tracking protection option under the Enhanced Tracking Protection section. This will prevent websites from tracking your online activities while also helping block them.